View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
JasonS

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
I slipped, had 7 beers on Saturday night with some friends after 21 days. Much better than my usual binge, and headed home when they headed to the next bar, but I give myself no pat on the back. Somewhere in my mind I believed I could just have a couple, but this group of friends go hard, so I have told them since that I will need some time to work on myself, and will be out of touch for the time being. They understand. I know where I left off and am taking additional steps to make sure there is no more room for a slip.

My problem is my anxiety, which basically revolves around health concern, and even more specifically my heart. Little background information: I am 25, healthy weight, eat mostly organic and little to no red meat, exercise often, smoke free for four years, and basically outside of my binges I try to live as healthy a lifestyle as I can afford. I have had 9 ekgs, two echo-cardiograms, and a stress test a little over a year ago, (all of which came back superb) and somehow still obsess over thoughts of having a heart attack or heart failure. Ridiculous, I know, but that's my case. It all stems from my drinking, thinking I have done irreversible damage due to my heavy binges(generally once a weekend, strictly beer, but to a block-out state most of the time.) I know I can't drink, with or without the anxiety because I can't just have one(or tell myself what's the point of having one?!) So it's a no no. Not sure what I am trying to get as a response, somewhat needed to vent I guess.

So it is day 2, I went for a run, and am putting together my plan. Day by day, I can and will do this. I lost 110 lbs, I quit smoking, I can do this too! (not bragging, giving myself textual reassurance.) I have a meeting tomorrow with a therapist to begin practicing CBT for my anxiety, and will attend some AA meetings in my area. I will also check in here often.

Thank you for reading, and bless all of you.

Best of luck to you. Anxiety is absolutely miserable. It's very difficult to explain it to anyone.