Thread: A new day
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gretel123

I notice others updating their original thread, and I find them inspiring and helpful, so I'm deciding to do that as well.

I've been on here every day since signing up, and posting on other peoples' threads and in the August class, and reading links and articles here.

I'm still in the early days. According to my Sober Time app, I've been sober for 5 days and 50 minutes and I've saved $30. Although money isn't the reason I stopped, I must admit it is a nice plus!

I posted in some other threads about this, but wanted to put it here too, so if I come back and read I will remember. I was cleaning my room 2 nights ago and found 3 full beers in my suitcase. I had a second of "oh wow, nice find!" but snapped out of it quickly. I didn't really want them, because it would kill all the work I've done so far. 3 days at the time, and that might not seem like a lot, but that's 3 days I'd have to do over, and have the guilt and shame, and distrust in myself. I also knew if I started with 1, I'd have 2, then 3, then go buy a 12 pack. The AV is a liar, and I wasn't giving in. So I poured them out.

I kind of feel scared saying this, but I have not had a hard time at all so far. I feel scared because I know it's coming..the day it hits me hard, and the AV is screaming in my head. I'm thankful it's easy right now, but I am on guard for sure.

I've also been cigarette free for 5 days. Sometimes that feels harder to give up than drinking. Maybe because it was such a daily thing..the habit part. The "everything I do reminds me of smoking or wanting to" feeling. I wasn't a daily drinker, but a binge drinker, so it's sort of different in that way. But I have found a lot of this board helpful if I replace "alcohol" with "smoking/cigs".

Well I've rambled a lot. Here's to my first sober weekend in a long time. I'm looking forward to it