View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Wells.....for what it is worth.....I think I was able to dispel what I consider to be a myth that o ne has to have a substantial amount of time and emotionally grieve and get over the loss of one pet before engaging with another pet.

I have tested this, myself. One example is when my beloved "smoky Joe" (a kitty) got hit by a car. Oh, my,.....when I tell you that I was devastated...jt would almost be an understatement. My husband was heartbroken as well.
When I told my husband that I wanted to bring another homeless grey striped kitty into our lives....he said that he thought we should "wait"...so did some other people advise the same thing.
But, my heart was screaming to save another grey striped kitty...as maybe a lilving monument to Smoky, as well. His l ost life could at least give a chance for another life to live....

Well, unbeknownst to my husband, I located a litter of kittens..all grey striped, that were too young to be weaned from their mother. So, I arranged for my husband and I to go and meet the family and pick out one for our adoption. Well....we were instantly over the moon over one of them (Rocky). We went every few days to visit him, until he was of adopting age!
He came to our home, and joined our other dogs and kittys and became another creature of love in our home and hearts. We adored him.
Not one bit did it take away our love and memories for smoky Joe....or our sadness of losing him. though, it did brink some comfort for our souls....

Now, Wells, I want to say, loud and clear, that I am not even about to try to get someone to adopt and animal if they feel that they aren't ready or don't want to. I am only saying that the notion that there should be a rule that a certain mourning period is necessary....just isn't necessarily true....it is not a rule. It is not written anywhere, and cannot be validated...
I'm just saying.....

dandylion