Thread: Relapse Rates
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Whodathunk

I think more then anything, for me, all the statistics do is reinforce that there is never a time to let up or think I am cured, or have this thing licked. That thinking was behind my numerous early relapses. My last one was thinking I could drink socially with 2.5 years of sobriety. Two months till I got sober again. But I think I have learned more the longer I have been at this. Now, I know I can stay sober, I just need to keep going to meetings, be grateful every day, and take it a day at a time, and remember my last relapse and how I did not feel better drinking, but only put myself in a very bad place. So, knowing that statistically the odds are against people staying sober, it gives me a boost knowing I am sober no longer how long it has been.

When I relapse, I can't go a day or two without drinking. I am on my way after the first drink, which I am glad for, since it removes the uncertainty out of my weakness, disease, or whatever you want to call it.

So, I don't care what the actual statistics are, I just know they are not good, and it simply gives me a boost knowing I am beating the odds every day that I don't drink.