View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pixie30f

Drinking and breathing

I am not new here. I am trying and trying to stop and sometimes telling myself that I can control my drinking. I really don't know where I am at the moment. I do feel very strongly that my fitness is important and have lost weight over the last three/four years and have been running for about 20 years (am in my fifties). Lately I have found myself really finding it hard to breathe when I run. My usual run is 4-6 miles and recently I have done around half that and have had to stop two or three times in the course of even that kind of short run. Does anyone know if there is a connection between drinking and reduced respiratory capacity? I have certainly noticed over a long period of time that I get cold type symptoms: sneezing, congestion, etc and always notice that it's harder to run if I've been drinking a lot (as I often do). I'd be interested to know if anyone knows of any actual evidence of this, although I'm certainly going to put it to the test and see if cutting down/quitting helps in this specific way.

pix