View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
elysiajade

Unhappy Am here for advice about my partner

My partner and I have been together for 3 years, and we have a good relationship and we live together. But Im worried about his drinking. I am not sure if I should be worried, or if Im overreacting?

Ever since we met hes drank more than most - he drinks most nights, usually 3/4 beers or a bottle of wine. This is by himself, as I go to bed before him as I work early shifts. Also, if he goes drinking with his friends, I always hear humiliating stories of how drunk he got/the embarrassing things he's done. And recently he got drunk and cheated on me. I forgave this, but told him that his drinking has impacted our relationship badly, and he needs to realise he often drinks too much. He also wets the bed when drinking heavily, (happens maybe every 4 weeks), and this can be from having a few pints with his friends then carrying on drinking on his own at home. I recently bought a £500 mattress after having a long discussion about his drinking and him saying he was going to cut down and that he wouldn't drink to that point again. He did, and he wet the bed on that mattress. His granddad was an alcoholic and his dad drinks every single night, and other members of his family have drug addictions.

I have tried speaking to him, getting angry/upset, listening to him for hours talking about how he feels about things in his life, explaining the health problems but nothing is helping. Does he have an alcohol problem or am I being too anal? And if he does, how can I get him to realise this? Also, he is 25.