Old 07-28-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Wells - it is shocking how people sometimes push away the very thing they say they are striving for, just at the moment it's coming together. It's like they are afraid of the very things they desire because then what? What's the next step AFTER that? What happens when they accomplish that goal? Easier to move the goalpost than to move out of their mental comfort zone.

During his drinking days, RAH went through about 18 months of treatment for invisible braces- this involved him getting new molds every 2ish weeks & slowly straightening his teeth. This has always been one of his biggest insecurities & as a singer, it was important to him to correct it. I supported him doing this, totally. At the end of 18 months there is always an adjustment & his dentist decided he'd do better to continue the molds for about 4 more weeks & AH had a fit. Acting like a punished child, he refused to continue changing the molds OR to continue wearing the last mold at night to maintain the changes & keep the teeth from moving back. He was angry at the dentist for changing the terms of the treatment - it was ALL his fault.

He suffered for 18 months through the aches of those adjustments & gave up the MOMENT he had an out & his goal was in sight. (His teeth looked amazing too) Of course, all of that work was wasted & everything adjusted right back out of line. So when he brought up his crooked teeth last week with a woe-is-me tone, I nearly came unglued & reminded him that that was his OWN doing.