Old 07-28-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
I have things from my childhood that were not good on my psyche either, but I don't dwell on them. I have decided that this is/was part of who I am, but it doesn't define me today.
I tend to think along these same lines^^ COD & I know that people tend to interpret this as strength when it's about me personally, but consider it harsh & judgmental when I expect the same of others... so idk.

I like to think that WHERE we are in life doesn't necessarily relate to WHO we are.

With this world of technology & with answers & support literally at our fingertips, it's astonishing to me why someone wouldn't seek out education, solutions, forums, etc. We all certainly did, right? lol

Like somebody else said upthread- a lot of people truly think that just labelling an issue is enough to heal it. They don't understand that properly labelling it just step #1 - to help you GET to the right kinds of healing.

Denial is also incredibly strong here too - and people become invested in their damage, clinging tightly to it because it's THEIRS & they've EARNED those battle scars. (raising hand meekly - I've been guilty of this in the past myself...)

I know that last summer when I suggested to my mother that she stop clinging to her damage & seek out ways to manage it, she nearly ripped my head off & demanded to know just exactly how in the hell I expected her to go about that since she's not exactly a therapist & can't afford a reasonable one. The more ideas & solutions I offered her, the more insanely angry she became, lashing out at me as she shot down every legit thought. She didn't want help, she wanted sympathy. It occurred to me that she wanted to be better & not have to do any of the hard work to get there because she felt she'd suffered enough in her life already.

Now a YEAR later after I initiated & stuck to Limited Contact, she only just started back to individual & group therapy a couple of weeks ago.