Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I think everyone here identifies with cravings. The reason people have been saying about making a plan, is because it's through working whatever plan we put together that we manage to deal with those cravings, protect ourselves from them as much as possible, and become confident in sitting with them without being their puppet when they do come up. Diffrent people put different things on their plans. For me, being in AA, my plan probably looks somewhat diffrent from Dee's. The link to Dee's thread about making a plan is a good one because it touches lots of bases and encompasses a good range of ideas.

HALT is always big on my plan. (HUNGER-ANGER-LONELY-TIRED). My plan needs to include daily strategies to avoid those things. It also needs contingency plans of what to do if those things pop up, because I know that if two or more are present then it WILL affect the quality of my sobriety. Maybe not resulting in a crave, but maybe so. My general plan covers how I'll avoid or deal with those HALT triggers on a normal day, if I'm doing something out of the ordinary I prepare for it by thinking around HALT, including exit strategies and the like.

Also big on my plan, especially in the first year were 'slippery' people and places. Some I could avoid, others I just needed to prepare for well, thinking HALT again, and having clear boundaries and exit strategies.

As an AAer, I would do other things, which non-AA people might or might not do:
Pray
Meditate
Contact my sponsor or an AA friend
Get to a meeting asap (a good strong one that is recovery focussed and has people there with healthy sobriety).
Read the Big Book
Help someone else
Do a gratitude list

A lot of the things on the list you might do an eyeroll at, just as I did when they were first suggested to me. That's fine. I know where your coming from because I didn't see how any of those things would help either. In the end I wanted my sponsor off my back do I did them partly out of desperation and partly to shut her up. And I found that they worked. So I still do them. Probably I could get away with cutting out one or two of the things on that list, but I don't KNOW that, and I certainly don't know which ones I could cut out. And I'm enjoying not being anxious, depressed, angry, resentful, dishonest, paranoid and delusional, so I think I'll just keep on with what's working for me just now.

But like I say. Different people. Different plans. And the reason we keep harking on about plan when you mention cravings, is because our plans are how we safeguard against and deal with cravings.

I hope you find some peace soon.