Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Loekken

Originally Posted by GratefulJunkie View Post
Just going to throw a couple things out there....as far as saying AA is religious, so it wouldn't work for you....it's not RELIGIOUS. It's spiritual. And to assume the two are the same is to be ignorant. Also...to say you KNOW it wouldn't work for you, without even trying, is like saying I know I couldn't ride a bike, without ever even sitting on a bike. It's just an excuse. A way to stay miserable, so that when you are finally able to drink again, you can justify it to yourself. Because you already 'knew' there was nothing that can help you. Right? I'm not trying to be a dick....but fact is, if you wanna keep drinking, then keep drinking! If you don't think you're alcoholic, then go back out and get ya some more! But if you WANT help, you HAVE to be willing to try new things. As recovered ( recovering ) alcoholics, our program includes carrying the message to still suffering alcoholics. Which many many ppl have tried to do here. But it's starting to seem like you're just waiting for somebody to tell you how it's ok to feel so ******. Throw you a pity party. And in my experience...when I've been in that mindset...it's cuz I just don't wanna stop. That's what it boils down to. So if you don't WANT to stop, then get back out there and see how it goes. More than likely you'll be back. But by telling you the same stuff over and over again, just so you can say 'we don't understand your situation' or 'that **** won't work for me' means that all the ppl trying to carry the message to you, might be missing 1,2,3 other ppl who really DO want to make changes and recieve positive advice/feedback. But if you're UNWILLING to open your mind a lil and get over your own ego or thinking that you already KNOW something, then stop wasting your time! Get back out there. OR just keep asserting your will 'power' and see how that goes. "Sick 'em Will". ( sorry to be brash, or rude. But holy ****. What else do you want to hear? This is a recovery forum, not a pity party ) you gotta decide for yourself. And if you want life to get better, then take some ACTION. You're a grown ass man. And it's ultimately up to you!
So if religious and spiritual are not two sides of the same coin, then what is it? The brief encounters I've had with AA, or programs based on AA 'philosophy', it mentions 'God'... that you should find 'God'. I was never really religious, so it just put me off.

I mentioned that I have indeed tried AA/similar (just not specifically attended AA meetings), so it's not as if I didn't leave it as an option, ever in my life. As I said, I was put off by it, as it seemed cult like.

I'm all ears when it comes to whatever 'message' people here try to get across - but do allow me to be cautious in terms of buying some product or Big Book suggesting how I should live my life or what I should do with myself.

Not looking for anybody to throw a pity party. I mentioned in my opening post that I have (psychological) cravings and asked for advise/feedback on this specifically, from people in a similar situation or from somebody with a comparable length of sobriety and ongoing. At least one poster could totally identify with that.