Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by BRichards View Post
Went 150 days sober, then went to a bachelor party in April and went crazy. Been drinking everyday. A good day is 6 drinks. Super embarrassed, I lost 30lbs not drinking and don't want to return to what I was. Going to my first AA meeting tomorrow but I don't want to do 12 Steps. I have God problems. Would love advice.
Why not just keep an open mind. After all, thatd be unlikely to start for a while anyway. I spent 6 months just going to meetings before makinv the decision to get a sponsor and work the steps. I know plenty of people with years and years of healthy sobriety working the 12-steps who are non-believers. The important point is finding a God of your own understanding. It doesn't matter really what this is (Group of Drunks, Great Out Doors, Love, Nature, whatever) as long as you don't think that it's YOU that controls everything and everyone, and is central to the universe. We tend to suffer a little from ego and self-winding run riot. AA is a spiritual program, not a religious one. For the sake of fellowship, people use the word God as representative of whatever they have chosen as their Higher Power. It seems that nature and the Great Out Doors are popular ones because being with nature tends to help us right-sized ourselves and our problems and see our place as part of the world rather than what it revolves around. There are some amazing places where I know I can always get right-sized. My favourite ones being mountainous or near the sea, or preferably a bit of both.

Anyway, I'm waffling.. is there anything you wanted to know about what to expect from your first meeting, or have you been before? Ask away if there's anything that might help.