Thread: Day 30!
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
WeekendWarrior

Originally Posted by Soberat50 View Post
Thank you for your post. I have a very similar situation. Brand new here, on day 3, but it's easy for me not to drink during the week. It's Saturday night that I start out fine, but then 4 drinks lead to 10 and I'm wasted and embarrassing my family.
Need to make plans this Saturday with my husband that don't revolve around drinking. What have you done on those other Saturday nights not to be bored?
First of all, you & I are fortunate in that our bodies were not used to drinking every day. I was in a 6 day sober, 1 day hammered cycle. So when people talk about the horrors of day 3 & 4 withdrawal, I never had that.

For me, "breaking the cycle" on that first Saturday was huge. I went to my parents' house (they do not drink) with my 2 young children. I watched baseball and did family stuff, no alcohol was around. I went to bed at a normal hour for a Saturday (11pm/midnight) instead of getting all fired up on alcohol and staying awake until 2 or 3am like I did before.

Really, you're just extending the 6 days of sober to a 7th day, and then you're back into your "I don't drink" part of the weekly cycle. After the initial week, the cycle felt "broken" and other than feeling a "want" to drink here & there, it hasn't been that tough. I was a bit tested this past Saturday after we were all in the heat being active all day, but I got a 44 ounce blue raspberry slushee and filled up on that.

I suggest this: Commit to 30 days, no more, no less, and see how you feel at the end. I promise you will have clarity and feel differently than you do today. Make plans for this weekend (Friday through Sunday) so that you don't drink. Make a plan if alcohol is around/offered. The following weekend will be much easier.