Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by BRichards View Post
Went 150 days sober, then went to a bachelor party in April and went crazy. Been drinking everyday. A good day is 6 drinks. Super embarrassed, I lost 30lbs not drinking and don't want to return to what I was. Going to my first AA meeting tomorrow but I don't want to do 12 Steps. I have God problems. Would love advice.
The AA fellowship has a single rule, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking". That gets you in the door, and you can attend as many meetings as you want, but that may not be enough to get you sober.

AA in recovery terms is a spiritual program of action. For an alcoholic of my type, recovery was not possible without working those steps.

I had the same god issues as many newcomers, but working the steps got me past that. My approach was that I was willing to believe but only if I got some evidence for myself. Ancient history now, I have not needed to drink since.

Honesty, open mindedness and willingness are the essentials. We can only be defeated by an attitude of belligerent denial.