Thread: Starting over
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Berrybean

You think that no one noticed you getting drunk before? I'd you really are in that unusual position as an alcoholic, I'd be very surprised.

I'd suggest, swallow your pride, bite the bullet and go get well with people who understand you, and can support you. I suspect that the people you would meet I those meetings will be very unlike those you seem to have been spending time with up til now. I would also say, if you are at all worried about particular information DO NOT share it openly in meetings. Protect your sobriety by staying safe. Get to know who you can trust and who you get on with over a few months, then if you want to talk, do so in small groups or one to one.

I know some people presume that they will have to speak in meetings. This is not the case. I know some people who never share in the open room (but do chat to a few trusted AA friends ), and that sharing our misdemeanours means with everyone in the fellowship,. Also not true. Yes, as part of step 5 we share things with a God of our own understanding and with ANOTHER human being. For some people this isn't even someone in the fellowship. I've heard of people (unusual though) who prefer to share it with a member of the clergy, or a complete stranger, or a friend outside AA.

I am a teacher, and recognise all the 'reasons ' you give for not being able to get help at AA or similar as ones that I made excuses with for a long time. I've now been in the fellowship for a couple of years. My boss knows about it, as I made the decision to tell her as she'd referred me for counselling and had been trying to help me get past terrible depression and anxiety, and I was worried she'd find out some other way. No one has ever found out about it unless I have chosen to tell them myself. In the rooms I have met surgeons, lawyers, self-made millionaire businessmen, mothers, father's, grandparents, nurses, builders, teachers, counsellors, gardeners, university professors and lecturers, a few homeless and unemployed people, jockeys, shop workers, publishers... I could go on. Alcoholism affects a great many people from different walk of life. There are many differences between us, but there are also many, many similarities, and a lot of genuine care and affection between us. Please don't let fear-induced contempt prior to investigation stop yourself from at least giving this support network a good go.