Thread: Not Getting AA
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 02:31 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by ThatOneDude87 View Post
... Any questions I had about the effectiveness of the program or any remarks that were the slightest critical were met with an attitude of I was just an unconstitutionally incapable drunk..
Not long after I joined AA I shared at a meeting the 5th step reminded me of the church confessional I used to go as a child. That I understood the cathartic nature of confessing but confession/amends mean little if one's actions don't change. These were my initial thoughts on the 5th/9th steps and I was giving my opinion. However some in the room didn't care for this line of thinking and I felt the bad vibes. I was to take the cotton out of my ears and put it in my mouth. In other words shut the xxxx up and listen. Fortunately, not everyone I met was an AA robot. There were of others with time who welcomed me and who I could talk with.

Imo, often those new to AA will parrot what they've heard share not necessarily because they believe it but because they want to fit in. They learn quickly what happens to those who ask many questions and don't want to find themselves ostracized.

Anyway, for me the benefits of AA easily outweigh the personality conflicts I experienced early on.

Still, it's not difficult to understand why some people run from the rooms.