View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
WeekendWarrior

Originally Posted by Ironhorse1 View Post
Just curious if there is any mental/chemical link with alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine in the recovery process. I was thinking about this today...people use all three substances to stimulate/change there physical/mental state.

I don't even really know what I'm trying to ask, but basically IF the part of your brain that reacts to alcohol is the same part that is effected and causes you to crave other chemicals, wouldn't the recovery process be easier by eliminating all of these substances at the same time?
I've noticed that in early sobriety I drink waaaay more coffee and sugary stuff, as well as smoke a lot more (I'm not a heavy smoker...1 or 2 a day maybe, but when going through withdrawal it's more like 4 or 5 which I hate...disgusting habit).

Clear as mud? I'm only asking, because if there is any link, I would like to cut out all three at the same time.
Ha, well, I had a thread about the coffee thing a few weeks ago. Apparently it's recommended to back off of caffeine early in recovery b/c of the anxiety that comes with withdrawal. Otherwise, meh, I love coffee, it's good for me, I'm friendlier, in a better mood, more productive and (truthfully) a better person because of it. It gives me something to look forward to when I arrive at work. It's different for everyone I guess, but for me, I am absolutely 100% addicted to coffee and I'm totally fine with that for those reasons.

So, to answer your question, I see no reason to quit coffee. Unless you have early-recovery anxiety, or just want to.

Smoking sucks though. Yuck. Yeah man, quit that ****.