Thread: Not Getting AA
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
ThatOneDude87

Thank you all for the replies!

My issues with AA were philosophical and also social. Philosophically I can't give my life to the program, it just doesn't jive with me and I have reservations about it cause of that. That's not to say I think everyone who's in is brainwashed or on a wrong path. For example, some people are religious and I'm not, but I never hold that against someone has being intellectually or spiritually inferior.

The takeaways I got from the program were developing an understanding of how fragile sobriety really is, one slip up and you're falling down the mountain again. Coming to terms with my own alcoholism and what that means for maintaining my sobriety.

The big issues I had with it were the people. Maybe I was in the wrong meetings, I went to a lot though. My last sponsor told me that if I didn't do the steps I would drink myself to death. Old timers were telling me what they thought was wrong with me sometimes. Any questions I had about the effectiveness of the program or any remarks that were the slightest critical were met with an attitude of I was just an unconstitutionally incapable drunk. The "fellowship" aspect did not work for me and felt I would only be accepted once I started doing what was expected of me in the program, even though I felt that would not be being true to myself. I just stopped showing up and never heard from my sponsor or anyone from there ever again, they all probably thought I relapsed. There were good people with good intentions, who reached out while I was still attending, but they couldn't help me cause of my issues with the whole thing. I was given up on as a lost cause and that's okay, cause I found myself.

I never wanted my life to revolve around the 12 steps and attending as many meetings as possible. I relapsed once while I was still going because all I ever heard was that I'm powerless and I believed it for a short time. I got sober with the help of my awesome family. The social aspect is still largely missing from my life cause I have no "sober" friends, but I'm grateful for what I have. I work full time and am going to school, so I keep busy.

Alcoholism is on a spectrum, at least how I see it, and recovering from it a not one size fits all. Don't try and fix what works and if what works for you is AA, more power to you. I was just always told AA is the only way in the rooms, but maybe that just gave motivation to prove them wrong.