Thread: Not Getting AA
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
KarenOskie

AA worked for me before. I had two really good sober years and was very involved in AA. I got involved in a relationship that was really bad for me, and started putting that first in my life above everything, relapsed, and it has been a huge, very long struggle trying to get back.
I would say that AA isn't working for me now, because I haven't been able to stay sober for very long (yet). But I know deep down it's that I haven't been working it, and because I am in an area with really poor AA. No fellowship, no sponsors, unfriendly people.
But, I've been listening to Joe and Charlie tapes the past couple of days, and I have seen where I am going wrong. It's been such an enlightening weekend for me! I am going to have to find the few people in this area who are willing to help, because the fellowship is important, but I am also going to have to get to work on my own until I find that help.
I can't wait around for people help when what I really need is God help. I'm going to a meeting tonight, and will go in with the new attitude I've learned recently of "I need help staying sober and working the steps, can you help?" instead of "I hate all your effing guts for not knowing what I need and giving it to me immediately." I'm also planning on going to some meetings in the town next to mine, see how it's going over there.
But, I'm also working the steps by myself, well, just me and God.
I love AA and am grateful for it! I know it's not for everyone, but I know it's where I find the solution to my alcoholism.