Thread: Not Getting AA
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
couchloc

I have a hard time with it as well. I've learned a lot however about myself. I personally think there are as many ways to get sober as there are alcoholics. For some AA is the answer, for others it may be some other support or method or spiritual discovery. It varies. I don't like the concept of "get AA or else" because it is a fear based mentality. Many people in AA live in fear of their alcoholism and are in a state of constantly recovering at all times every second of the day. They work the steps doing them many many times over and over . (six step 4 and 5's type stuff.) For me I think it's a no go. I did a step 4/5 and it didn't do much for me. But I don't actually have a lot of wreckage in my past and I generally try to be a descent person anyway. I also forgive myself for my shortcomings rather than beating the s*** out of myself, like many alcoholics do. There are different levels of descent into alcoholism and what some need is not for all. Members of AA are speaking generally to the really hardcore drinkers and that is really good. For some like myself the message can be a little hard to comprehend because my bottom was a little higher, but I don't want to drink and drinking is and has been a problem in my life. AA has been a great source of info and helped me a lot. I wish there were more high bottomers in it to even out the crazy. Hey that's life. Take what you need and leave the rest. The steps are easy, just don't be an ego driven a** and apologize fearlessly when you step in it. I think taking a black and white attitude toward AA is not the best. There are good things and then there can be other stuff that maybe is a little sketchy. Stay at peace within yourself and make a mental list of the positive attributes of AA. Not just the negative. You will see there are some very good things and some bad. Use AA as it works for you. Opinions on how it works and the big book are simply the opinions of people who have had that approach work for them. It is not one size fits all, hardcore recovered alcoholics sometimes forget this and can be a real pain in the a**. But that is what has worked for them and they are speaking to others like them and this is a life saver for many so it is completely necessary in the program. Best wishes, go with god. Peace.