Thread: Not Getting AA
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by ThatOneDude87 View Post
Wow, I wrote this over 3yrs ago, came back on cause I was curious and forgotten what I had wrote....

Interesting to come back on here and read what I wrote. I still agree %100 with it.
Glad it's all working out.

About what your said in your opening post and today:

Yes some in AA will suggest you've been able to stay sober because you aren't a "real alcoholic" as described in the BB or some such nonsense. You'll also likely get hit in the rooms with a "dry drunk" tag. Whatever. The question to ask yourself is why some might feel a need to downplay your accomplishment.

In the beginning a lot of AA reminded me of religion class in elementary school. Much of it well-intended but after awhile I tuned out much of the preaching. I've done some of the same with AA . However, I've always liked the meetings and found many of the members interesting.

I've learned over the years how to go with the flow of the meetings. Yes, I've known numerous AA robots who pontificate about the 12- steps yet are still screwed up. For me the key is not to get sucked into their drama. In the end I take what I need from AA and leave the rest.

All said and done AA has worked very well in my life.