Thread: Not Getting AA
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ThatOneDude87

Wow, I wrote this over 3yrs ago, came back on cause I was curious and forgotten what I had wrote.

I stopped going to AA shortly after writing this and guess what? I felt better for it and never relapsed. I'm quite aware it could happen and still take it one day at a time, but I hardly if ever think about drinking anymore. Obviously the 12 steps works great for some people, and I honestly believe that, but I'm just not one of those people. I probably would've eventually relapsed had I stayed. I am an alcoholic, but it doesn't define me and I don't have to say it every time I speak.

I still struggle (not with urges, I have underlying mental health problems) and I'm sure some would call me a "dry drunk", but I don't go to alcohol or drugs (not even tempted to) and live sober on my terms. I'm grateful for my short time in AA, I did take away a lot from there and left the rest I didn't need.

Some people said maybe I just never hit rock bottom to want to work the steps. Pissing in bottles in your room, getting arrested on your front porch, and spending almost half a year in a mental ward, rehabs, and a halfway house is enough of a rock bottom that I ever want to go to.

Everyone has their own path, don't ever believe otherwise. We're all works in progress, no one has it figured out.

Interesting to come back on here and read what I wrote. I still agree %100 with it.