Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by 2012Starlight View Post
I'm not the most sociable person and not that easily approachable either - I think a lot of people perceive me as being a bit cold and arrogant, especially when they don't know me well. This is partly a defense mechanism of mine, though.
I wonder if that's how people perceive me because I'm mostly quiet and tend to keep to myself much of the time. I also have a tendency to make wisecracks with every intention of trying to lighten the mood (mostly my own maybe), but sometimes I don't know if other people know how to take me. It's not intended as mockery or to belittle anybody, but is likely a defense mechanism for me, too. If I don't feel like I'm going to be taken seriously, or maybe don't want to feel like I need other people, I'll try to appeal to their sense of humor instead. It's always fun to laugh.

But...I go ahead and make myself get out there anyway. I know isolating leads me down the wrong path. If nothing changes, nothing changes. You mentioned earlier that the sorts of friendships you have usually involved having "a" beer. (When was the last time you had a beer?) Not to sound trite, but if they really are your friends, not having beers together should be irrelevant. A lot of us have come to find out that some friends were nothing but drinking buddies. When it came down to really knowing each other, there was little there to build a true friendship. It may not be the case all the time, but very well could be a lot of the time.