View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Irnldy001

Kaily - that is simply not true. Many of use AA as just ONE part of what we do. For many (and I just saw a report about this) AA is not enough when just done on it's own (not putting it down, please no one take offense).
Having a plan helps - but for many, that plan includes a lot of things not just AA. Some are lucky enough that just being on this board seems to do it.
But I am going to speak for myself (and anyone like me).
I go to AA and have a sponsor - let me be clear about that. It helps. But the truth was that I have more issues than just drinking - drinking was covering some other issues that I knew to be true from earlier in life. Sobriety for me was ending that drunken phase and suddenly returning to the old issues.
Because of the return of the old stuff, I had a choice - drink to cover them again, or see my doctor and be honest.
I now have a counsellor that I see for dual diagnosis. I also see a psycholgoist (after starting with a psychiatrist who gave a diagnosis and medicine regime). To be clear, I am not medicated for drinking, I am medicated for a condition that I finally faced and allowed myself to be diagnosed. I ran from any form of diagnosis for decades.
So yes AA is in there. But truthfully if it was just AA for me I'd be drinking by now. It's just one tool in the chest.
It started with brutal honesty with myself.
It took me over a year of sobriety to realize that I needed way more help. I've only been being treated for a few months, but I can tell you it's getting better.
You can do this - but I think perhaps a deeper soul searching of what the things that would help you would be are in order. I'm by no means suggesting that your issues are my issues. What I'm saying is, just not drinking and going to AA was not enough to clean my house, and for many here it's not enough to clean their house.
What I see when I come on here is
1- people use SR alone
2-people using SR and AA
3-people using outpatient rehab and SR
4-people using outpatient rehab, AA, and SR
5-people using another method than AA and SR
6-people who are inpatient (AA may or may not be part of their time)
7-people in sober living
8-people using SR and addictions counsellors with or without AA
the list goes on. There is a huge variety here.
It's easy to talk yourself out of this by lumping us all together, but the truth is that we all are using whatever we can that will work for us.
I hope that gives you a little hope - that perhaps there's something you are missing.