Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
stillpooh19

Originally Posted by FLA View Post
I just feel like this withdrawal stuff kind of came out of no where, is that also possible? My drinking habits were to go out and drink every other day to every two days (a lot of course 5-8 beers several crown cokes) over the course of several years. And I stopped drinking last Monday and felt the effects Thursday.. Is it odd? I usually would skip a day or two or three and be fine? Why all a sudden did it all hit me? Is it possible the body just crossed the line that one week? When I explained to my therapist my symptoms he brought up some serious mental conditions that scared the **** out of me and caused a anxiety attack instantly but everything I'm feeling is due to my excessive drinking as far as I have read. He also was unaware of my heavy drinking till today. I just don't see how withdrawal can happen all a sudden and hasn't in the past? Anyone know why that is or how it happens?
In my experience, the withdrawal symptoms suddenly came from nowhere. I had initial withdrawals, felt fine for about a month and boom the worst anxiety and panic ever hit me. I went to my doctor who explained I was in withdrawal and could be for up to 2 years, thankfully she was familiar because of a family members experience. On the other hand, I am finding many doctors including psychiatrists are not very knowledgeable about protracted withdrawals therefore they tend to lean more toward serious mental illnesses which isn't always the case. Since you are newly sober, I will say this, don't be discouraged, just know it takes awhile for the brain to heal and it does get better.