Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by 2012Starlight View Post
Oh yes, drinking has obviously caused me the most difficult and even terrible problems in my life so far - I have all those stories that you will hear from most severe alcoholics in different ways. I would say I'm generally an emotional wreck at the moment and we know the temptation to ease the pain when opening a bottle, then.
I think coming here is a very sage move then...it tells me that you value sobriety even if part of your mind is not telling you that now. It's far better to talk these things out and find solutions than the alternative. I don't enjoy being in groups or sharing in person much either, but i feel it's necessary for me to push myself to do so at times. The only way we can overcome what we fear is by facing it. And you don't have to do it all at once and become an regular speaker at an AA meeting for example. You could attend some speaker meetings and just listen. Or perhaps find someplace you could do some light volunteer work - to not only get you out and about, but also give you some confidence that you can contribute to help others as well.