Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Speaking from my own experience, given that my default has always been to isolate and avoid people, I've had to force myself out of that behavioral pattern because it always brought me full-circle to the bottle again. If you are open to AA, sometimes just taking that leap of faith and going to a meeting and listening with an open mind can have a profound impact. I was very resistant to it when I first started going. I also suffer from social anxiety and didn't speak up for quite a long time. That's OK. It pays to just listen in early sobriety. If you stick with it and get a sponsor, it can work. I have 15 months of sobriety now and I directly attribute that to having a good sponsor and working the steps. There are other alternatives if you decide that isn't the way for you, but I urge you to do something. Isolating means only listening to yourself. You can't think your way out of this, and our best thinking rarely does us any good.

I've been on Antabuse a couple of times. It is a good deterrent, but you well know it doesn't touch cravings and, unless someone else is making sure you take it, you have to rely on yourself to maintain it. Nevertheless, I do know some who have managed that on their own. You sound like you are unsettled and struggling with this, though, and white-knuckling your way along somewhat. Antabuse can't provide the emotional/spiritual support needed to improve your life overall.