View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jonbald

Yeah. I don't think he'll ever have his **** together as in leading a normal life with family and children, etc. I am just trying to be patient while he gets into disability and some sort of housing. He is working on getting section 8 housing, but that too takes time. His appointment is on the 20th, an appointment he's had for at least 2 months.

Regarding a halfway house, we don't want to pay for that, which we would have to do at first. And halfway houses are temporary. We are trying to help him get on his own.

If he drinks, he's out. If he doesn't get a job in three weeks, he's out till he gets a job. When he gets his disability, he's out. That's about all his mother and I are capable of doing at this point. We are unwilling to willynilly kick him into a homeless situation when he is showing some signs of improvement.

This last trip to rehab was his 3rd. It was the first one that was totally his initiative. He made the arrangements for admission and insurance (Medicaid). Since there are some signs of improvement, we are trying to work with him. It is stressful, but there does appear to be an end in sight.

We've read various books on the subject of dealing with mentally ill adult children. There are various approaches. Hard core Alanon would say, totally kick him out, etc. Other approaches are not so harsh.

We are trying to find the balance and the right path in this situation.