View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jonbald

Angry Embarrassed by son

In addition to being an alcoholic, my 37 year old son is depressed, anxious, ADD, stubborn, manipulative, and immature in his decision making. He has a very high IQ. He's fresh out of rehab. Going to lots of AA meetings (that's good). He's not working hard enough to find a job (we've told him he has three weeks to get one or he has to move out).

His mom got a new car and we offered to give him her old one, a 2000 Grand Prix with 80,000 miles on it, great condition. He chose instead to take the money from the sale of it and look for something with a manual transmission, say a 2000 Honda Accord. Well, those don't exist with 80,000 miles, they all have about 200,000 or more. All because "The only two things I enjoy right now are listening to music in my car and driving a stick." Well, he took $415 of a his federal tax refund and put a stereo in his old car, deciding to keep it. (It is falling apart). Now he's looking again at cars in a lower price range and all he will get will be a piece of ****.

He got his state tax refund of $200 and almost bought a $170 pair of sunglasses. He's proud of himself that he "made an adult decision" and didn't buy them, but rather is looking at a $70 pair of UA sunglasses on Ebay. I don't particularly see $70 sunglasses as an adult decision.

I am so tired of his behavior I could scream and I find him depressing to be around.

He is going to a lot of AA meetings, going to weekly therapy, and regular psychiatrist visits. That's all good. He has applied for disability due to his mental conditions, but that is going to be awhile before that comes through.

We are trying to support him in these efforts, rather than kicking him out on the street. It just gets awfully old dealing with a 37 year old man that acts like a child, and an alcoholic one at that.

It has been good to vent. Thanks for listening.