View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
getright15

I agree 100% about addiction is addiction no matter what the drug or drink of choice. In a nut shell. When I first asked him to be my sponsor I had no idea he drank on occasion. When I went on my last run and came back to the program is when I switched sponsors. I can't tell anyone else how to do thier program as I'm still early in my recovery. I was shocked myself when he told me about it as his sponsor agrees with the notion that he shouldn't be sponsoring anyone if he still chooses to have a glass of wine etc.

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
That's a very troubling sentence. (Emphasis mine).

Getting loaded is getting loaded. The idea that someone would stop using a particular drug that was not their drug of choice in order to be able to start sponsoring someone who happened to like that drug is beyond concerning, it's insane and totally missing the point.

Hopefully I'm missing something. That said, NA is very clear that it's a program of abstinence from all drugs including alcohol, and AA is certainly about abstinence from alcohol. I can't imagine what program he would be sponsoring people in if he was drinking.

If I'm reading the post right, your former sponsor didn't relapse, he just never stopped using.