View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
PlasticInsanity

Originally Posted by WeakGirl View Post
Honestly, I was unsure about commenting on why I was so riled up about the "addiction is just like" comparisons, but I've decided that it is okay.

Someone basically asked me if I would kick my brother out if he were homeless because he had cancer "because addiction is just like cancer." No, it's not. The cancer dealer won't show up at my home with guns because he didn't get paid. It's very, very, very different. Also, I'm particularly sensitive about cancer, as a recent survivor who is still feeling less than fully human after the surgeries I had.

Edit - That has not been a present attitude at any meeting since among anyone who has returned. I think it was just a misunderstanding between myself and a member.
My bestfriend is a cancer survivor as well, and in no way would I ever compare addiction to cancer. If not treated addiction can also be terminal, but treating addicts like cancer patients can be enabling. The person in question will eventually learn this, and probably the hard way like most of us.

I'm sorry to hear of anybody who's compared to their addict sibling/relative. I'm in Canada, and I hear of this happening a bit but not often.