Thread: Perspective
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Just remember this perspective when things get a little rocky (and they will) and you'll be fine.
Enjoyed your post - do want to say to remember that you are not a special snowflake. It's your use of words like "magical" that made me think of this. This train of thought can be dangerous. Here's what I mean in writing this, in better words -

'"If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average." - Ovid

Our program speaks of spiritual progress, not perfection. ... Our bottom line is steady progress. ...

Our illness pushes us to be perfect. In recovery, we learn that we are free to be what we are - just human. Even the world's fastest runners are average in most other areas of their lives.

Prayer for the day: HP, I'll not be ashamed of how average I am. I'll remember I'm average - and that's good."'

- July 5 devotional, from Keep It Simple: Daily Meditations for 12 Step Renewal and Progress

This one - perfection in my mind, v being average - is a tough one for me.
I grew up being told I was amazing, brilliant - a special snowflake. For us addicts this is often disastrous - see the parts about grandiosity in the BB, and what's talked about as the "f*ck its" in the rooms sometimes. It brings in the ego and keeps the I - not our God- in control. Dangerous when it comes to keeping the AV alive.

Glad you are feeling so wonderful about your life. It is indeed a perspective of gratitude we can all enjoy.