Thread: Perspective
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Day 19 since my last drink, and day 25 since my last binge.

Today's perspective. I had a grueling 12 hour day at work yesterday, with hour upon hour of intense, often combative, meetings. A month ago, I would've come home agitated, spent, grumpy, and looking for the first chance I could get to steal a couple of swallows from the bottle. A day like that would have been a great excuse for a mid-week drunk. But yesterday, I had the mental, physical and emotional energy to come home and enjoy the little birthday celebration that my wife and kids had put together for me last night. I sat at the dinner table, eating the wonderful chicken fettuccine Alfredo that my wife had made, looking at their smiling faces and joking around with them, and I truly enjoyed it. It will be a memory that I will cherish to the end of my days.

I've been dealing with a lot of emotional "flatness" lately, but yesterday was a bit of a breakthrough for me, and hopefully it's a glimpse of what's to come. For the first time in forever, I was able to sit and just feel the joy and love in the room, right down to my core. What a wonderful, wonderful time.