View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Cherrybreeze

Hi ryry,

How long has it been since you quit?

Are there any hobbies that you enjoy, or once enjoyed, that you could pick up again? I didn't want to go out a lot at first (as I most often was in bars, etc), I got back into crocheting. Finished a HUGE afghan in about 3 weeks as a graduation gift. Working on it was therapeutic in many ways, it gave me time to reflect (on life in general, and on the person I was making it for), it kept my mind and hands occupied enough that I wasn't stewing too hard on anything, and I got to binge-watch some great Netflix . It also gave me a feeling of accomplishment when my nephew and the rest of my family raved over it when I finally did give it to him. I learned to crochet as a kid, and have done several projects over the last 30 years (including wonky doll scarves at 6 years old!) but it had been quite some time since I'd started (and especially finished) any, especially one so big.

Is there anything you used to enjoy doing, that you can reexplore? Or anything you've thought of doing (music/playing an instrument, drawing, writing, gardening, etc?) that you could give a try? With the internet nowadays, it's easier than ever to teach yourself (or you could find a class to get out of the house). Take a walk around a craft store and see if anything interests you, I'm always amazed at all of the different ideas you can get (making jewelry, lotion/soap, scrapbooking, the choices are really endless).

I also picked my gym membership back up and am getting back into that routine. It really is a mood-lifter.

I'm kind of just taking shots in the dark here, I know what helped me may not help you, but I'm hoping in some way it does!