View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Bekindalways

Originally Posted by WeakGirl View Post
I don't believe that it is *just like* any other disease.

Addiction isn't diabetes. Diabetes isn't cancer. Cancer isn't arthritis. Arthritis isn't Chicken Pox.

Addiction is addiction, with its own unique set of challenges. That's what I meant to say.
^^^^ I love this WG.

I believe our human brains need some kind of paradigm to understand our world. Like electrons act like particles and also act like waves but they really are neither; however physicists can do amazing things by thinking about electrons this way.

I read Craig Ferguson's memoirs. He is the Scottish tv personality and also a recovering alcoholic. When he went to rehab, he told his sponsor that he didn't think Alcoholism was a disease. The sponsor told him, "It doesn't matter what you think because it will truly help you to see it as a disease."

I really support thinking about addiction in any way it is helpful. If thinking of alcoholics as petty criminal ar$e$, then go ahead and think that way. (I know that last sentence isn't what you are saying WG; I'm just making a point. )

Big hug all round. Whatever the addiction is it is so very very hard to deal with!