View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Reprieve

Where I am living currently is a small-ish city and I was surprised that people seemed so welcoming and friendly. My experience in AA has not been so welcoming and alot like people describe above. Having said that, I do consider a couple of women to be good friends and some men and so while I may have been complaining above I really do have some decent relationships in the rooms here. : )

But - I think the common thread for us friends is that we are very infrequent attendees at the meetings and we don't share much in the rooms. We talk privately outside the rooms, that's where we have our relationships. There are definitely people who attend almost all the meetings and are all about being "Mr AA" or "Ms AA" and they seem to look all awesome and shiny on the outside and can quote page and verse. But they also seem lonely and maybe use the rooms as a way to be important. I know that doesn't sound very nice but - it's just my own observation. Some of them are kind of mean really.

My first sponsor told me that you come to the rooms to get healthy, not to live there. Good advice. Davaiddavai, you might really be just fine and doing ok and so enjoy what you can and just let go of the rest. I came here with zero expectations and so making some friends has been a real gift.