View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Venecia

Hi, Smilax,

I'll be honest: I'm not a fan of the "tell me your rock bottom" threads that appear rather regularly here on SR.

Why?

Because they can leave the original poster with a sense that he/she has emerged favorably by comparison. A "oh, whew!" response because: a) not in legal/criminal trouble; b) not in an ICU or once again in the ER; c) not facing a divorce; d) not hovering on the edge of joblessness; or e) whatever rock bottom you'll get in response.

If, by the time I got sober, I could have traveled back in time -- say 10 or 15 years -- and looked at my future, I'd have been horrified by how my drinking increased in both frequency and volume. When I got sober, I realized I would only keep following the ball downhill unless I stopped. I hadn't "achieved" legal/criminal problems, joblessness, diagnosis of organ damage or the like.

Yet.

Sound familiar?

Originally Posted by Smilax View Post
But things have been progressively getting worse and worse :-( I now drink more days than I don't and it was simply weekend binge drinking before. Many days now I wake up and just look forward to getting to the end of the day so that I can drink.