View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2muchpain

As suggested previously, if you haven't gone early or stayed after meetings yet, you should give that a try. Maybe volunteer to help set up the meeting, make coffee, etc.
Your problem is probably more common than you think, and you should try to not take it personally. I went through the exact same thing. Did everything I was told to do; get a sponsor, do the steps, etc. Tried hard to be accepted as part of the AA community for years and got nowhere. First, I would be very angry at the people for not giving me a chance even though I did everything I was told to do. Than I started getting angry at myself for not being able to find a way to make things work out. That was the worst, cause I'd leave the meetings absolutely hating myself.
Eventually, I realized it was nobody's fault. People are going to be themselves, and I did everything I could so it made no sense to beat on myself. Eventually, I had to just let it go and be ok with that. Some things just aren't meant to be.
Now I just go to the meetings and get the most I can out of them. I look at AA as a kind of fraternity. Many apply, but only a few are accepted.
I'm not suggesting you take the path I took. Making friends in AA is very important for anyone to stay sober and would of probably helped me avoid many of my relapses, so I hope you find a way to connect with the people there. Just wanted you to know you are not alone with this issue. Good Luck. John