View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
effortjoy

help me talk back to destructive voice

Maybe it's because my alcoholism was confined to once a week binge drinking or maybe bx I really have very little authentic self regard, but whatever the reason, I'm having a hard time answering back this voice inside me that keeps criticizing everything I do. The voice is telling me I haven't accomplished enough. That I'm not thin enough. Not good enough. That I'm running out of time to achieve something of significance. That I'll feel stuck in my life forever, etc. But the worst part is that the voice is not allowing me to focus on staying sober, which at first seems like not a big deal since my trigger day will be Friday but I realized that even though I was just drinking once a week, the rest of the time I was still in addicted mode, just not acting on it, but my thinking all week was just as impulsive, restless and distorted. I need to focus just on recovering and not the million other to dos that are in my life right now. Can someone give me permission to 100 percent focus on recovering since I can't give it to myself? Please help me answer this voice because I know, if I can't find a way to silence it, that this voice will eventually kill me.