View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
soberaccountant

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
Oops, new thread. Oh well, I hardly ever post here.

I have no one to really ask about this, but I have a lot of scars in visible places from many years of cutting myself. If you had scars, would you apply for jobs on the basis of whether or not wearing long sleeves all year was a problem? I normally don't really give a s*** about who sees my arms, but with employers and coworkers I feel a bit differently because I have my mask on at work. I don't even know if that's something you can be fired over (is it??). I also have tattoos, but tattoos are considered relatively normal these days, so I'm not worried about those.

Anyway, I'm applying for welfare tomorrow. :s F***ing useless degree. I wish I could roll back time and go into engineering or geology or something where there are jobs. #poorlifechoices
Looks like you're in Canada and I do not really know what the labor laws are out there; however, in the US most states have laws on the books which would prevent this sort of discrimination. It could also be in violation of American's With Disabilities Act(ADA), because depression and its symptoms (self-harm can be covered by this) are protected disabilities. Many states, however, have 'At-Will' clauses which allow an employer to terminate you without providing any formal reason. At-will terminations without cause (meaning there was no gross misconduct such as theft, violence, etc.) enable employees to be eligible for unemployment benefits. I would be inclined to believe that Canada (a much more progressive nation than the US) has similar or more enhanced protections on the books.

Maybe seeing if you are entitled to welfare benefits could be a good option for you. Perhaps it can enable you to continue your education to get a degree that you really desire? Or possibly obtain certifications which can enhance your degree and make it easier to find a job?

Regardless of what you decide to do I wish you the best. It does not sound like you are practicing self-harm anymore and I want to commend you for that. Keep focused on your mental health and well being. Also consider using the services of a staffing agency. Your degree may have transferable skills to other industries that you may not understand yet.

Good luck and keep coming back.