View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AdelineRose

Even though this post is not from the last couple days, I want to give my .02 in case someone looks at the post or if the original poster is still trying to get things under control.

If you can get a doctor, psychiatrist, and substance abuse counselor behind you before, during, and after you detox they will be able to stabilize you as much as possible while you are detoxing and after. Getting on the proper medications to treat my co-occurring disorders has made detoxing and creating a strong lasting recovery a million times easier. (Getting a full psych evaluation can't hurt- the worst they can do is tell you that you don't have any co-existing disorders).

Also drink TONS of fluids, as much as you can possibly force yourself to get down and then some more. Also force yourself to eat. You won't feel like eating but it will help you feel better sooner at least in my experience. It will help give you strength. (my easiest detox was when my mom forced me to eat and drink Gatorade non-stop and wouldn't let me take any Immodium because it was better to "let it out"- I thought she was crazy but I did feel better that time then the thousands of times before)

Also, make sure you take your vitamins. You need all the help you can get when detoxing.

Even if you can't sleep, lay there with your eyes closed in a dark room for as long as possible to try to relax your body. Breathing techniques, yoga, meditation, praying, etc. also can help calm your body and mind down. I found coloring helped me get a little out of my own mind also.

I also kept a detailed journal so that after it was over I could always go back and read it if I started to feel cravings and start to think that doing a shot of heroin was worth it.

The sooner you force yourself to move around and walk walk walk the sooner you will feel better also. Just laying there not moving is not going to do your mind or body any good.

Burning your bridges also helps mentally. Knowing that you do not have the ability to just pick up your phone and call your dealer really helps mentally. I also changed my phone number, deleted facebook, and made sure to completely disconnect from my druggie "friends" and dealers.

YOU CAN DO THIS!