Old 06-22-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

ZJW, thanks for all that info. about your diet. `Regarding the running, until I was sidelined with medical issues for the past year, I would run between 2-3 marathons a year with a personal cheering committee of my family and 2 halfs with my wife and sometimes our daughter. Be it in training or race day there's always an issue of overcoming adversity at some point, but crossing the finish line was the drug that kept me coming back for more. Writing on an addiction website I can state that there are worse addictions to have. That written, I know exactly what you meant about the anxiety of an organized race. For the record, I'm not fast, have no expectation of winning even my age group, and in a big race like the NYC Marathon the winner is finishing in less than half the time I am. IOW, if there wasn't so much media hoopla he would have plenty of time to go back to his hotel, rest, shower, change into civilian clothes, have a roast beef sandwich, and still make it to the finish line to see me cross.

I also totally understand about "getting lost in my head" while running. When firing on all cylinders I lift weights 3 times a week and either cycle or run 3-4 times per week, but nothing other than running allows my mind to wander, think, and just plain enjoy my surroundings like running does.