View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sleepie

I have HALF A YEAR sober

That's me, crowin'. Because I beat not one but two addictive substances. I have had some near misses and close calls but I avoided it even though I was gritting my teeth and sometimes in tears, no matter what I just did NOT do that one thing- give in to relieving substances.

I was out to do an errand today and stopped to grab a salad. Go to pay for it and my card is declined. So I say "Whoops I gotta take care of something" and start to jet outta there and the lady behind me who I was chatting with previously pays for it. I try and give her the few bucks I have on me and she says "Just go and have a great day!" and laughs.

IRL random act of kindness. She reminded me that despite being an alkie I am no less than any other human being. Despite what I have been told, despite what led me to befriend alcohol for so long and despite my grey matter I am a life, I matter. My story is valid.

All that from a free salad. How could she know she bought me lunch on my 6 month anniversary? Thank you kind lady.

Anyway so I'm gonna do what the lady said. I'm gonna have a great day.

What are you guys gonna do and who is struggling and what can we next time? I'll share some of my strategies that got me this far. Because despite being near paralyzed with sadness and anxieties I still had to actively change things and I did.