Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Madridista93

Originally Posted by Kelly12390 View Post
Hi there

I was in rehab at 23, 26 now. I was chronic at 23, couldn't stop drinking. It was going to kill me. I managed to stay sober for a over a year but have relapsed recently.

I did lose friends. They were no loss with hindsight. But not all, your real friends will stay. Also, I found personally that 22/23 is the last leg of that 'young' party scene. After that, people seemed to settle down and the not going to bars etc was more commonplace among my peer group.
Hang in there, I would be willing to bet you will find that also!
Also, you will meet great people on your journey in sobriety. People used to tell me that and I would cringe, but it's true.

It's difficult at times feeling that bit younger, at times I resented it- and if I'm totally honest, still do. Feeling you were cheated out of drinking years... The disease talking! The other side of that is if we remain sober and get this thing younger, we will save years of turmoil and pain.
I also tell myself sometimes too that I am sure there are young people in those bars drinking just as desperate and unhappily as I was just to feel okay about themselves. Not everything is as it seems.

Glad you're here!
Thank you very much for your kind reply , what caused you to drink constantly were you as well self medicating yourself? I really can relate to your post, i think friendships have to be much more than just going out and drinking. We have to be strong and think that this is the best for our lives, people at 23-24 should start being more mature and not have to get smashed every weekend. Friendships should be much more then this but it's a shame our generation is becoming clueless