View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Girlfriend

Hi deathismine,

Since he has a drinking problem, drinking with him is only gonna enable him. If you feel that you don't have any problems with stopping drinking, then stop. If you can't stop and still want to drink, then maybe AA is the answer for you both.

A's rationalize. I'm a recovering A for 11 years, but before I stopped completely, there were a couple of times when I stopped...only to say a couple months later to myself "it's okay if I have just one glass of wine with dinner". THen, that one glass turned quickly into the whole bottle of wine again.

Moderation isn't a word for an alcoholic. We can't moderate. Once we start, we won't stop. So, the only way to stay away from the hell of alcoholism is to completely stop.

Alot of different ways to do that: Alcoholic Anonymous meetings, rehab, counseling,..........etc. Once the A has admitted to themselves that they are an A, that's the first step. If they don't admit that, they're in denial and recovery isn't gonna happen.

Al-anon is great for family members of an A. To help them understand what alcoholism is and how to take care of themselves instead of always putting the A first in all that they do. Or, you could go to AA and Al anon together, also. That's always an option.

I hope that was of some help to you. Continue to come to these boards and read other's stories and how they're getting help and learn from it as much as you can. Be good to yourself.

My prayers are with you!

((hugs)))