Thread: AA History
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
stevieg46

What I would call'' significant'' are two decisions that to ,my mind probably are the main reason Alcoholics Anonymous has existed up until today . I honestly believe if these decisions had not been took Alcoholics Anonymous perhaps would have folded many years ago .

1 Jim Burwell Pioneer number 3 in the 4th edition of the Big Book , he is mainly responsible for the term ''God as We Understand Him '' Jim and I think one other don't know if it was Fritz Mayo? anyhow Jim was adamant that that term must be used in the Big Book , others tried to browbeat and insist differently but Jim would not budge so the majority relented , and I believe Jim Burwell the main reasons for the term ''Higher Power '' Jim of course was an atheist .

2 Rockefeller and some other very wealthy business types , attended a meeting in the early days, AA members went cap in hand more or less looking for money to boost AA. Rockefeller said that Alcoholics Anonymous was a wonderful idea /fellowship , but ! the one thing that would destroy it was money , ( I believe on the principle of one alcoholic helping another without any personal gain )

He was correct, and that to me , is one of the main reasons that Alcoholics Anonymous is self supporting , He donated some ''one time only '' money (small for him ) to meet some bills and running expenses and Alcoholics Anonymous flourished in other ways.

One other significant event was the Jack Alexander article about Alcoholics Anonymous in 1941, shortly afterwards AA membership went through the roof .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006