View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
northernsoul

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
Hi all,

Thoughts of alcohol have been plaguing me for a week or so. I have 6 months of sobriety. Amazing changes have taken place in that time which include running 5K three times a week, 2.5 stone weight loss, feeling calmer and relaxed, sober trips away, sober nights out...the list goes on.

It's a puzzle to me then, why thoughts of alcohol have surfaced...it's really unnerving in fact. Today whilst in a supermarket the thought of buying a bottle of wine and checking out of my head for a night crossed my mind. So I went home (minus the wine) and reviewed my recovery plan. I reflected on what helpful habits may have slipped. I journalled and read previous journal entries. I downloaded some new health and wellbeing audiobooks. I reviewed affirmations I used at the beginning of my journey. I listed all of the positives in my life as a result of sobriety. Then I had a healthy meal, drank plenty of water and herbal tea, had a hot relaxing bath and now going to bed. I will be going for a run in the morning.

Thanks for listening...just wanted to share x
I think you should treat it as a good sign that you saw alcohol there and made the right choice. From my experience our insight as to what recovery means and takes changes slightly the longer we go through the journey and updating your plan and recovery tools is a necessity in my opinion. What works in week 1 probably won't in week 51.

So many positives from your post. I'm also a keen runner. Hope you don't mind me saying keep up the good work!