View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I think it can sometimes be a very useful reminder to someone on the verge of going back out because they've forgotten all the reasons that they had for stopping. When they start romanticising alcohol, and forgetting the bleak reality of it for them. Ideally they'd think back and remember themselves, but if not, I suppose I'd rather risk them feeling a bit peeved at me for sending them a timely reminder in their own words than them go back out.
Exactly. Whenever I see someone on their 100+ post considering trying to drink moderately I almost immediately go back and find their first post. More often than not it's filled with self-loathing about how alcohol is ruining his/her life. The alcoholic living in my head likes to conveniently forget about all of that when it's thirsty.

I find that many others share that experience.

I try to share what has worked for me, knowing full well it will not work for everyone. A few weeks ago a new member typed out an 8-paragraph face-blast because they didn't like my advice. My approach isn't going to work for that person. But others have thanked me for helping them understand their situation - so I CAN reach some people. For that reason, I will never stop. It's too important.