View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PuzzledHeart

Mom in hospital. Sister laughs at news.

Some of you may know that my mom was diagnosed with cancer last year. She even got admitted to hospice, but then this year she turned around for the better. So she got kicked out and her cancer's decreasing.

My sister went AWOL during my mom's worst period. She's had a history of drug and alcohol abuse before but she swears up and down now that she isn't using. Her boyfriend is open about his heavy pot useage, and both she and he are NOT financially independent. She is now living with my parents, more or less, and he with his.

Anyway, my mom decided to quit her anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications cold turkey because, hey, she's doing better right? I didn't think it was a great idea, but I'm not a doctor. And her doctor cleared it too.

So my dad was beginning to report that her behavior was getting increasingly erratic and angry. Today she threatened to commit suicide and walked into her swimming pool. She can't swim.

My dad thought she was being manipulative and told her to go to the deep end, "as a test to see if she was really being suicidal." He's been her primary caretaker, and he's been at it way too long. My mom also was refusing to get additional help, she was socially isolating herself, and she was also telling him that he couldn't leave her alone in the house EVER. Which is completely unrealistic. So he snapped.

My sister won't help him out even though she theoretically lives with them. (She's out most of the time anyway).

So she walked into the water, decided it was too cold, and walked back into the house. Dad called me up, and told me that he cancelled all his client calls for the day because he couldn't live with himself if something really happened to her.

I called her doctor,'s office and they basically told me that I had to call 911 to report a suicide attempt. We decided to call my parents and convinced them to drive to the ER so she could undergo a psych eval so at least my mom felt that she had a choice on which hospital she wanted to go to.

I called my sister to let her know what was going on, and she said, "I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh."

And then she started to complain about how dad was on her case for not finding a job that could make her financially independent, and how her ex-husband didn't help her move out of her house last week. Well, there's a reason why he's your EX-husband. Especially when he's your ex because you had an affair.

There are these moments where you just feel the coldness overtake you. And today was that moment in spades.

This woman is basically mooching off my parents, and then laughs when one of them is under suicide watch, because that proves to her in her mind that she's perfectly justified in feeling the way that she does towards them. She's the victim, they're the abusers, and that's that. If she thinks that they're that screwed up, DON'T ASK FOR THEIR HELP. If she thinks my mom is off her rocker, then why is she begging her for money every second?

I know I need to stop building my laundry list of hurts, but this just really really got me. And I can't tell her off, because it means that she might pull her nieces away from me. I can't stand it when people tell me how kind and generous and charming she is - just disagree with her and see how she treats you then! Maybe she'll laugh too when YOU get admitted to the hospital.

I HATE it when she tells me how pot is the best thing since sliced bread, and if mom was on pot she wouldn't be this way. Because pot is natural and prescription drugs aren't. Well poison ivy's natural too and I don't see people rushing out to get it!

The only reason why she wants my mom to smoke pot is to justify her own past/current usage, not because she actually cares for her. I hate how pot and alcohol cooked her brain and now she's turned into this delusional cold person who turns on the charm when she needs something from you.

Okay vent over.

The good news: my mom got cleared and she went home. My dad is going to talk to somebody, and I'm hoping that my mom will be more open to getting help from other people besides my dad and myself.