View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Originally Posted by MovingForward1 View Post
I hope this doesn't come across wrong. I'm in my 40's. Been drinking 20 plus years, daily (with the exception of the sobriety attempts lasting short periods here and there). On day 3 but struggling as always.

I'm struggling to relate to a lot of the stories on here as of late, coming from 20 somethings trying to get sober. I don't want to diminish anyone's experience and I WISH I had been smart enough to look for help a couple decades ago, but I didn't. I feel like I see the same thing in the rooms, and it just doesn't resonate with me.

Am I being ridiculous? I read over and over ' I've been drinking heavily for 3 years, 5 years, 2 years, etc'. How can that person possibly relate to me? I've been drinking heavily for 20 plus years, how do I adapt?

Sorry if this is rude, please let me know if you have any feedback, from young, middle and older age alike.

Still moving forward, better than going nowhere, just looking for my place.
Hello Fellow Forty Something! I am 45, and have five and a half months sober. Like you I drank for well over 20 years, actually closer to 30. I remained sober during my pregnancies, and while nursing my kids, and had sporadic periods of sobriety, but this is my longest.

There are many of us on here who stopped at this age. I am currently sitting at the airport with my kids waiting for a red eye flight to NY. Last year we were sitting in a bar/restaurant at the airport so Mommy could have a glass or two of wine before boarding. This year is much better. We all have books, coloring, and of course technology, and it will make the flight, and the time change much better.

It isn't always easy, but it does get easier, and I promise it is worth it!!

Welcome to SR! We old folks rock!!!