Old 06-14-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nme13

Social settings- especially an upcoming wedding

Hi all, I needs some support/ suggestions on what to do in social settings where there is alcohol, especially for a wedding that is coming up.

I've just recently decided to commit to getting sober. I've tried to limit my drinking to only social settings in the past and it just doesn't work. I end up drinking before the occasion because I have a fair amount of social anxiety.
I'm 23, so it seems like most people like to drink and don't have a problem with it. No one around me really "parties", but there are plenty of occasions where I've gone to a brewery, had beer with dinner with friends, etc. and I just feel so guilty after and want to stop. I don't think my friends see it as a problem for me, but it is.
How do you go about social situations where there's alcohol? I guess its not a big deal for me just to not order a beer or whatever if other people are, but I think it might feel weird. I know the best thing to do is to avoid occasions where alcohol will be around, and that's what I'm going to focus on.
I have a wedding coming up in 3 days, and another one in a month, and then another in November. I think if I get a little bit of time under my belt of being sober, it won't be so hard to go to the wedding sober, but I'm especially anxious about the one on Friday. The friend that I'm going with has always been a friend that I've drank with. I told her I didn't want to drink at the wedding, and she said that's fine and she might not drink either. But what happens if she changes her mind at the wedding? I feel like then I'll want to drink too. Do you feel like it's helpful to drink like a club soda or carry around some other sort of drink so you don't feel totally weird at an occasion like that?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and support. I'm totally new to this.